There’s always space for yet another armor tutorial, right? (ﾉ´ヮ´)ﾉ*:･ﾟ✧
Note that the armor I drew would be worn around 15th century, the more into the future the less and less components knight’s armor had (i. e. in early 14th century instead of greaves a knight would wear long boots only; in 12th century knights didn’t wear plate breastplates and instead a chain mail only). Also the design of armor pattern changed by year and was different in every country (i.e. in eastern Europe armors, while still looking European, were heavily influenced by Turkey). so just make sure you always do research whenever drawing an armor. And one more thing to keep in mind is that armors were expensive, knights wearing a full plate armor weren’t an often sight.
Some links that may be useful:
- Armour Archive (I strongly suggest to browse its forum, there is no country or period of which armor wouldn’t be discussed)
- Therion Arms (armorer’s page; each accessory is photographed in big resolution and several time so it’s a nice page to use as reference for drawing)
- Revival Clothing (another store, but both with medieval clothing and armors; I suggest to read the articles, they’re often supported with pictures)
- Basic Armouring:A Practical Introduction to Armour Making (pdf)
- Educational Charts (pdf, shows how armors and weapons changed over the years)
- Medieval & Renaissance Material Culture (actual medieval resources, mostly paintings. And my favourite subpage - women in armor)
- Dressing in Steel (youtube; a demonstration how to dress in armor)
- How shall a man be armed? (youtube; another demonstration but with 4 different knights from different periods)
Artists, take note! Also a killer historical ref. I kinda want to have posters of this in my room.
I couldn’t even include all of the reference boards this blog contains on this photoset. That’s right! There’s EVEN MORE! There are pages and pages of them! It is an inspiration treasure trove!
Bookmark this link!
Fill your life with inspiration!
Tip for all my student readers: if you’re too lazy to use a bibliography creator like NoodleBib or RefWorks, let Google generate your bibliography entries for you. All you have to do is google the article/book title in Google Scholar, click “cite” at the bottom of the search result, and copy either the MLA, APA, or Chicago cite into your word document.
Signal boost because omg how did I not know this in college?
Since registration is starting soon I figure this is ample time to remind the six people who look at my Tumblr that citing your sources is really important in college and that this will be your best friend forever.
If you’re in high school and want to go to college? Learn to source! You’ll be way ahead of the curve and it’s 100% more important than knowing what the hell a predicate nominative is.
I use http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/ to figure out how to cite for my papers, and it’s been quite useful for the three years I’ve been at this!
im crying i have this project due in two days and i didnt do tgis yet ho y fuckl
hi so i’ve been compiling resources since high school and i kinda wanted to share them if that’s cool ??? i think it’s cool alright so i went through said resources and picked out the really important ones and the ones i found to be the most helpful
this is directed towards college students like me aw but i mean if you’re younger or maybe if you aren’t even going to school but you feel like it’s helpful then by all means let me help you let’s be friends
- don’t have microsoft word? this is like a knockoff but it works gr8
- diy planner
- diy embroidered notebooks
- diy notebooks and pencil case
- diy washi tape pencils
- diy felt book covers
- super cute diy alternative to a pencil case
- another super cute diy pencil case
- diy laptop stand!
- !!! free online graphing and scientific calculator !!!
- 150 organization projects using things you can find at the dollar store
- flat world knowledge
- gatech math textbooks
- library pirate
- open culture
- project gutenberg
- 100 legal websites to download books for leisure reading
- help reading difficult material
- reading skills
- active reading strategies
- benefits of reading something you enjoy everyday
- cheap, used books with free shipping
- even more cheap books with free shipping
- download free kindle books
- download free audio books
- !!! what is that word you are thinking of !!!
- how to write an essay by wittacism (it’s funny but also v helpful)
- top 10 mistakes students make in an essay
- avoid the word ‘very’, avoid the word ‘said’ and avoid the word ‘looks’
- describe food, someone’s facial expression, a voice, and a scent
- tips for proofreading
- use google scholar to generate a citation
- use google scholar if you need a “scholarly source” for an essay
- prezi powerpoints always come out really cool
- another cool website like prezi
- animated video presentations
- effectively presenting in class
- creating an effective powerpoint
- wikihow class presentation help
- v helpful dos and donts of presenting a powerpoint
- 12 common presentation mistakes
miscellaneous subject help
- !!! crash course in dozens of subjects with john and hank green !!!
- super helpful language learning website/app
- wolfram if you’re struggling with literally any math problem
- balace chemical equations
- minute physics
- art history
- public speaking
- psychology (lectures from a professor at yale)
- music theory
- microecon and macroecon
- block distracting websites but still use the rest of the internet
- finals survival guide by bootify
- listen to a coffee shop/campfire/waves/etc & you can even layer them!
- tons of studying playlists
- music box versions of tons of songs (useful if lyrics distract you)
- keep your energy up without caffeine
- learning and studying techniques
- lots of test prep resources
- make virtual flashcards and save the forests
- multiple choice test strategies
- what do you need to get on the final to get a certain grade?
- the collegiate vegan
- literally thousands of recipes by other students
- even more thousands of recipes made for students
- 200 healthy dorm recipes by undressedskeleton
- over 100 breakfast recipes (pls don’t skip breakfast it’s v important)
- 17 inexpensive, super easy, and on-the-go snacks
- 20 of the most essential recipes that you really should learn to cook
- lots of homemade hummus recipes
- "microwave in a mug" recipes
- coffee recipes
- hot chocolate recipes
- broke college kid recipes masterpost
if you ever feel stressed
- calming music
- cute videos
- the quiet place
- for when you have no one to talk to (also my askbox is always open)
- masterpost of things to make you feel better
- alternatives to self harm (useful for just blowing off steam too)
- very cute and relaxing games with soft/pleasant background music
- relaxing bath recipes
- yoga for stress
it’s okay to take a break every once in a while
- workout videos masterpost
- disney and pixar movies
- foreign films
- if you’ve never seen ahs, i highly recommend it
- one of the best movie masterposts
- even crazier movie masterpost
- make super rad symmetrical designs
- play with sand
- an interactive scale model of the galaxy
- how to moonwalk
- make a fake tweet
- blanket fort!
- super mario!
look cute in class and make boys cry (ft. pretty good deals bc we’re poor)
- (homemade) (face) (masks) (and) (scrubs)
- super quick hairstyles and lots of really great hair tutorials
- giant compilation of eyeliner pictorials and reference pictures
- inexpensive drugstore product recommendations
- !!! cheap band/tv show/logo merch !!!
- cute and inexpensive jewelry/clothes/school supplies/etc
because college is expensive
- k so i downloaded this app called featurepoints a couple weeks ago and i’ve already made a little over $50 from it. basically the app will tell you to download other apps and you’ll have to generally keep them open for about a minute. once you do, you’ll earn points that can be redeemed for free apps, giftcards to places like amazon or starbucks, or money put into your paypal account! i swear it’s not a scam. it’s honestly such an awesome way to kill time and you actually get money out of it. if ya wanna just try it, download it and enter the referral code KCHF98 and you can start off with 50 points! it’s radical, i promise
- sign up for preview free movies! i don’t know what areas they do them in but they happen all the time in southern california. what you get is invitations to see movies before they’re in theaters or sometimes even before they’re announced! if you rsvp and get in to the screening, you get to see the movie for free and all you have to do is a sort of review when it’s over. they ask what your favorite and least favorite part was and such. sometimes, if you’re lucky, there will be rewards for going like free tickets, and anywhere between $10 and $25 cash. i’ve actually made a lot of money through it!
- shopkick is also a really cool app i use that gives you giftcards for visiting certain stores and sometimes scanning certain products with your phone’s camera!
- get amazon prime free for six months with a college email
- !!! financial aid deadlines !!!
- get the most out of college financial aid
- discounts with a student id
- try and get the lowest prices at target
- free pad/tampon samples and coupons from kotex
- learn how to coupon
important regardless of school
- contraceptives masterpost
- helping someone who feels suicidal
- giant list of hotlines and crisis center phone numbers
- what to do if you think you may have been drugged
- how to avoid a hangover
- self defense with a key
- how to answer the top 35 job interview questions
- managing anxiety
- how to do your own taxes
- 10 steps to a better resume
- keep your laptop in a+ condition
- clean your carpet stains
final tips from me because we’re all friends here
- !!! do not pay for your textbooks if you don’t have to !!! even if you aren’t down with illegally downloading your books, you can waste hundreds of dollars on textbooks you will never open. wait until your professor says that you’ll need it or if material from the book will be on an exam just wait it’s what harry styles would do probably
- everyone says this but /please/ do extra credit if you can! it could mean the difference between a b+ and an a and that hurts more than the 1542th time you hear someone singing “let it go” in public
- if you’re like me and you find it completely impossible to make friends in college, at least try and have one homie in each class so if you miss a class, you have someone to tell you what you missed and let you copy notes. having this homie is also beneficial for group work bc homies help homies always (important life lessons from adventure time)
- if you’re in a productive mood, take advantage of it. i was feeling v scholarly one day and ended up finishing all my assignments until the end of the quarter almost a month early beyonce would be proud
- seriously just use google scholar instead of google if you’re doing something for a grade don’t be that loser who gets a bad grade over your sources
- keep a journal it is v helpful bc even if you don’t write, you can fill it with art stuff and just kind of let your feelings out and be creative about it /or/ if you don’t feel artistic, you can write! whether it’s creative writing or just talking about your day, it’s gr8
- if there is anything that you know will always improve your mood or make you feel better, take advantage of it. for me, this stand up is called weirdo and it’s by one of my favorite people in the world and almost three years after the release and dozens of viewings later, i still think it’s the funniest thing i have ever seen
- you are more important than anything in the world pls don’t ever put yourself in a bad situation for any reason ever, even if that means taking a day off for yourself
- if there is anyone in your life who doesn’t think of you as highly as kayne thinks of himself then that person doesn’t deserve to be in your life you don’t need them
Michele Carragher, the head embroider on Game of Thrones, made this awesome tutorial to show how she created the dragonscale fabric that appears on several of Daenarys’ costumes in S3 and S4.
Ms. Carragher says that the dragonscale fabric was created because “In season 3 the Costume Designer Michele Clapton wanted a Dragonscale like textured embroidery that starts to emerge on three of Daenery’s costumes, which becomes heavier and more pronounced, growing and evolving as the season progresses” (Carragher).
In stages 9-11 of the tutorial we see how the textile evolves from lightly to heavily embellished. This progression is meant to illustrate Daenarys’ personal growth and the growth of her dragons (source).
Don’t care about Game of Thrones but that shit is cool
The best deodorant you will ever use
Seriously. 1/4 teaspoon in each pit and you can sweat your ass off, totally stink-free for like 2 full days. It’s a natural anti-bacterial so those little fuckers won’t multiply and make you smell. Plus it’s cheaper and healthier than any deod you can buy anywhere.
Use equal parts of the following:
With a few drops of whatever essential oil you want, for fragrance. Otherwise it basically just smells like nothing. I use tea tree oil & pine needle oil. Cuz they’re MANLY.
Note - It pretty much turns to liquid if it’s warmer than about 75 degrees. If you want to keep it solid, you can refrigerate it or add a little more corn starch.
Reblogging myself again, cuz I still use this and it’s still awesome
This is what I’ve been using for about a year now and it works wonders.
Not convinced it works? My fiance is literally the smelliest human being I’ve ever met when he’s been sweating all day. I made him some with tea tree oil and he now smells nice and mint-ish as the end of the day, even if he’s been outside working.
Not to mention it’s cheaper, smells better, better for you AND better for the environment to make your own :D
You guys I made this and it works like a fucking miracle.
How to tie shoes for running
Wait I need this for my dystonia!!!!
seems like valuable info to pass along
I would have threw out 115$ shoes if I didn’t use the Toe problem one. God bless this post.
I use the heel slipping one and it actually works.
important for any artist
Like this is legitimately interesting and I’m not trying to make a point but honestly curious- why do artists apparently draw women as male torsos + breasts??0
because apart from amount of breast tissue, all humans have the same chest anatomy. If you ever have the opportunity to look at cadavers, without skin and fat we’re all basically identical.
Next time you are having dinner with a Bahraini dignitary, don’t embarrass yourself by confusing the Queen’s abaya with a burqa.
Did you know you can use our large skin top styles like Eros to create many hair parts and bang styles? It’s very easy to do!
All you need is a spray bottle of water, a comb, and a blow dryer!
We are using our Eros in Natural Blonde for this tutorial. Our Eros wig features a lace front alternative hairline as well as a very big skin top! It spans the top front of the wig in a large U shape. This skin top allows the wig to be used for many different hair styles!
Read more on how to do this and see the instructions full sized: